Thursday, January 19, 2012

In the Beginning...

My interest in censorship began with last year’s debate resolution regarding the legality of Wikileaks. After a month of arguing the pros and cons of total governmental transparency, I felt qualified to make my decision regarding my feelings on the matter. But, as we all know, the world is forever changing (as is the law). By choosing this topic, I will have the opportunity to re-research the controversial topic: where is the line? What do we, as citizens of the United States, deserve to know? And when is it okay to leave the people in the dark?

3 comments:

  1. Great title Cara! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting and highly debated question. Coming from a citizen, I personally believe that we do deserve to know everything going on within the country and government. Although, I do have my personal viewpoints, I do see the cons within my own argument (republic=run by the people=people disagree with what is right=disaster). By allowing for many pros and cons on both sides of the question, you must be very careful with your arguments. If done correctly, this has the potential to be a very good article. Overall, I found your topic very interesting and your phrasing got me thinking (in a good way). Good job- Brent Friedman

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of my short amount of time researching Wikileaks and censorship in debate class last year. Censorship is a tricky gray area. Some people believe that the citizens have the right to know everything, but to be fair there are some things that might not be handled too well if they were known by everyone. You have done a great job in presenting these questions, and I am glad you chose this as a topic. I look forward to reading more about.

    ReplyDelete